Project Proposal

The issue I am going to tackle is a continuation of previous research where I went in depth of Mandatory Military service. I want to continue this and expand upon it because of the experiences with my friend that happened, which I touched upon in my research of a political idea that I feel strongly about. 

In terms of visual research it is hard exactly to find and pin point what to look at. Currently, the act of Mandatory Military Service is not permitted or ongoing in the UK but it does happen in other countries and people aren't happy about it. Instead of doing research visually, as that would require me to leave the country to places where this is enforced, I will have to take inspiration and stories from those that I know have had to undergo the service or will be doing so in the future.

Currently I have good contacts in places like Lithuania where my friend over the internet avoided having to do the service as well as friends in Norway which will be called for health checks to join the military in the near future. 

The context itself of the issue will be suited toward a more casual theme and be based around a magazine setting to appeal to more people compared to a newspaper styled written piece which would only really appeal to a high readership. My reasoning of this is to bring light to those who may not be aware on what happens and to spread the awareness to everyone else.

In terms of naming my magazine, I will choose a generic and pretty basic name of "The Obscure But General Interests Magazine". Simple and easy to understand language is used in the title as i want the magazine to appeal to as much people as possible within the age ranges of 13-18 as these are typically the type of people who should be getting more aware of issues in the world and politics.

To create and make this become a reality, more money than I have would have to be used in order to travel across countries and get a real feel for those who have to or are currently in the military service. Things like props or sets and clothing can be taken into consideration if replicating scenes where people would have to get health checked of which a photoshoot would be done.

There are next to no risks which could occur in the making of my magazine spread other than the basic rules and regulations taken in place in a work area with computers. This includes keeping wires tucked away, not having food and drink at the computer desk to avoid spillage, saving work often so it doesn't get lost and backing up work to save it from loss if it becomes corrupted a first time.

All in all, I like the idea of my project. I want to be able to go through the thoughts and feelings of those who have taken part, will be taking part and even someone who had to move country to avoid having to take part in the service. Motivation and enthusiasm throughout the assignment I don't think will be an issue as I have no issues with the subject and was able to choose what I do freely. 

The topic of what I want to make my magazine spread on is naturally controversial as in some countries this is ongoing and there are people who believe in it and support it. There's two sides to the story so there could always be backlash. Despite this though, there is nothing illegal or ethically wrong about the content. People should be more open about taboo subjects such as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment