A3 Poster raising awareness of mandatory military service

Planning:
Before creating my poster, I decided to research and look up on existing posters of the nature such as mine as well as war propaganda to see what was attention grabbing and worked in a scene of war. This could be useful for the purposes of replication for example, but with a twist of actually being against the idea of people being called in by the government without a choice to serve for their country.

Another idea was to take a much deeper tone and be bold and loud about my opinions big words like "No" and "Mandatory" may be in capital letters to emphasise their point and meaning as well as capture the viewers eyes. The sentence "Mandatory military service deserves no place in todays world" is a powerful and strong statement as well as gets my thoughts out there and in a short and easy way.

My third idea is to have a photograph of someone who has served in military against their will or is going to be taking part. This may be a bit hard to complete but the internet is a good resource and with Lithuania only making military service mandatory only over a year ago, there will be articles, interviews or perhaps the thoughts of feelings of someone affect by the new law there.

Chosen Idea:
My chosen idea is to incorporate both my second and third idea into one with a small hint of the first idea. From the first idea I wish to take the approach of how in war propaganda, the posters are often drawn or look "cutout", I want to include this but with a portrait photograph of someone using the "cutout" Filter Gallery on Photoshop.

Here can be found a list of WWII propaganda posters which are useful for inspiration: http://design.tutsplus.com/articles/inspiration-80-amazing-wwii-allied-propaganda-posters--vector-3376

Here can be found an article of a series of portraits in which were taken after the mandatory military service was drafted in Lithuania: http://www.boredpanda.com/army-men-portraits-lithuanian-draft-conscription-neringa-rekasiute-beata-tiskevic-hasanova/

As for which portrait I wish to use for my poster, I will be using the first one on the list as it's the one which stands out to me the most as well as has the most powerful quote. I think the sentence, "A gun in your hands doesn’t define your manliness" is a really powerful sentence and really striking in todays society, it also underlines the point of gender expectations where men are meant to seem emotionless and aggressive in nature but that simply isn't the case.

The finished poster:
Below is the finished poster including everything I intended to include and planned out. In the end, I went forward with my chosen idea of adding every idea together to give a bit of everything at once whilst still maintaining and keeping together a strong and powerful message.



Saving my poster as a .PDF:



This is a screenshot taken of me exporting my poster on InDesign into a .PDF, this is done by doing to File > Export to which then you are prompted with this screen to export it as a print .PDF.


The next screenshot will show the poster now saved as a .PDF in my my directory for all of task 2's work.
The icon of the poster saved as a .PDF


The poster saved as a .PDF in my Task 2 folder



No comments:

Post a Comment